Monday, August 13, 2012

Scary Weekend

After having a great day at church on July 29th, we headed to the hospital to visit Sophia.  We were looking forward to a nice quiet visit.  When we arrived, she was in the process of being placed on the oscillator, aka...life support.  As the week progressed, her health continued to decline.  Friday, August 3rd, the hospital called and Sophia's condition is so serious that we need to start talking about "end of life".  

As usual, I dropped everything and headed to the hospital.  Jeremiah left work early and met me there.  We were instructed to spend as much time with Sophia as we could and that is exactly what we did.  We spent the night Friday and Saturday because we wanted to be there in the event that she passed away.  There were quite a few moments that were really scary.  We told the doctors and nurses that we would like to continue treatment if it was good for her.  If they started doing things to her, then stop treatment.  Also, her heart rate would get up to 175bpm and it would take two hours to get it back to 110.  Her lungs were so inflated with air that it would constrict her heart and it couldn't beat properly.  We took tons of pics and these made the cut.

One of her nurses made her some bows while we were at lunch.  Surprisingly, I was able to eat.


 This day was hard and Sophia was so very tired.


We're smiling but we're dying on the inside.


Aren't you glad we're staying true to ourselves?


She was on enough drugs to sedate a horse!  She was seeing so many rainbows and butterflies!


This girl is loving her drugs, LOL!


At some point, I decided that we should give her a crash course on the gospel.  The highlights were the plan of salvation, the law of chastity, and baptism.  We also told her all about how her parents met and our wedding day.  

Moving on.  Let's fast forward to August 5th, We are preparing to spend our last hours with Sophia.  Jeremiah's mom and my family came out to visit and completely took over the waiting room.  Savannah, Scarlett, and Elizabeth saw Sophia for the first time.  I wasn't sure how they would react but they did pretty good.  The visit went well and Sophia was so pleased that she was getting so much attention!













After having a very long and hard weekend, we decided to go home to spend time with the girls as a family.  As we were leaving the hospital, Jeremiah saw this guy in a wheelchair.  He was trying to get on the sidewalk but couldn't.  Jeremiah pulled over and helped him get on the curb.  As heavy as Jeremiah's heart was, he was still thinking clear enough to help someone else in need.  I sure love him!

One last thing.  I have always told myself that as long as Sophia was fighting, I would help her fight.  When she tells me that she is too tired to fight and too weak to carry on, then I'll accept it and will let her go.  After having the weekend that we had, I never felt that she was going to die.  Even though we were making plans regarding her burial and holding her up to 12 hours after she passed if we wanted to, I never felt like this is how her life was going to end.

Last Monday we got to the hospital and Sophia was off of life support.  Can you believe that?!  She's still pretty sick but at least she is stable.  She's not breathing on her own but the ventilator that she's on is much gentler on her.  I wanted to roll her in a corner for a time out!  That little stinker.  Shame on her for scaring her parents like that!  After fasting and many prayers our baby girl is still alive and "trending positively!" Amen to that!!!

8 comments:

C Jester said...

How horrible. I can't even imagine. Well I have been thinking about her all week & saying lots of prayers for her.

C Jester said...

That last comment is Jalei. I'm at my parent's house.

glad2bemommy09 said...

I just keep praying that she will come out of this with great stories to tell her children one day. Stay strong and encouraged. I also love how you guys are making sure she receives the gospel:) What wonderful parents you both are!

Jami said...

She has been in our prayers all week. Last week even Imogen participated in the fast for her. She gets blessed by four little girls every night. You are such a remarkable woman. So much stronger than I am. Please let us know if you need anything.

Lisa M said...

Wow! You are right what a weekend. I kept covering up your writing so I was following the order of the weekend. Though I just wanted to scroll to the bottom and hear what happened. Lots of love and continual prayers.

Regina said...

You are seriously one of the strongest people I know! I would have crumbled a thousand times by now but you are holding everything together so well for your family. You are awesome Gwen!! And I am so so so happy she is doing a little better. I will keep praying!

Regina said...

Also, I am back in town so I can babysit anytime!! Or bring dinner, go grocery shopping for you, clean your house....you name it!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your posts with us. We are continually thinking about you and your family and praying for you all. You are an amazing mom, Gwen.