Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Extubated & Intubated

The day after my last post was an exciting day at the hospital.  Usually, when there are two nurses watching our sweet baby, one is a regular nurse and the other one is an orientee.  An orientee is someone that recently graduated from nursing school and is paired with a veteran RN.  Anyway, the orientee from last Monday decided that she wanted to undo Lynette's safety pin so that Lynette could stretch out.  I told Ms. Orientee to watch her because Lynette is notorious for pulling out her tubes.  I barely sat down and Ms. Orientee is yelling for her partner.  She was telling him that Sophia had pulled her tubes.  Yep.  Our baby extubated herself.  In lamens terms, she pulled out her breathing tube!

Before I new it, two nurses turned into six or seven.  Lynette was actually breathing on her own for a few seconds.  Then she turned blue and wasn't breathing at all.  After resuscitating her, she turned red because she was being intubated.  In lamens terms, her breathing tube was being put in again.  Oh, baby girl was MAD!  Jeremiah had to stand on the sofa to get an aerial view because there were so many people in the room.  The alarms were going off in the hall, on the monitors, and on the nurses.  It was CHAOS!  Allllllllll because Ms. Orientee wanted Sophia to stretch out?!  WTH?!?!  After twenty minutes Lynette was stable.  In another fifteen minutes the room had cleared out and everything was back to normal.  I told Ms. Orientee "the name Prickett.  Learn it.  Know it. Fear it.  This baby is no joke.  You have to watch her because she WILL pull her tubes out."  Needless to say, the safety pin went back on.


 When we went back the next day, I noticed her hair was blonde again!  Maybe it's more strawberry blonde but it's absolutely gorgeous!


I don't know what is up with this girl's hair!  You should see it in person!


 After obsessing over her hair, I noticed that Miss. Sophia was pinned to a rubber band that was pinned to her bed.  After the previous days events, the senior nurse decided to give Lynette a little more flexibility.  Probably to appease Miss. Orientee.


By Saturday she was like this.  Swaddled and tied down!  Don't feel bad for her.  I'm telling you.  The girl has to be controlled.  She's strong AND feisty! 

1 comment:

Jalei & Lane said...

I would have been SO TICKED at that girl. I don't know if I could hold back. Glad they got everything under control.