Me: What happened?
Greeter: A guy was driving a truck and he was coming down the wrong aisle and he hit a few cars.
Me: Wow! Was anyone hurt?
Greeter: I don’t know but it just happened a few minutes ago.
About this time, I had not finished bundling up and then I saw that my car was involved! I practically ran out of Wal-Mart pushing the shopping cart with all of my groceries. I arrived outside and started asking what happened. Apparently, a guy was driving a tow truck with a 40’ trailer attached to it. He was driving the wrong way down the aisle and he hit a few cars! Guess what? HE WAS DRUNK!!!!!
I was parked on an aisle where traffic was one way. Did he not see the BIG yellow arrow painted on the ground?! The arrows are there to tell you which direction the traffic is suppose to go!! My fault. If you’re drunk, all of your other senses are impaired! I’m sure he didn’t even pay attention to the arrows. Better yet, he probably didn’t even see them. Any other time I would park way in the back because the traffic is less AND I don’t mind the exercise. But nooo, it was cold and conveniently a lady was coming out of the 1st parking spot next to the handicap spots. I thought that it was a great spot so I took it.
Anyway, when I got to the scene, here’s what I saw. The entire ordeal lasted a little over an hour. The time of the accident is reported at 3:40 or 3:50pm. By 4:49pm, I was on my way home. I took these pictures with my cell phone about 35 minutes after I arrived and had settled down.
I don't know how fast this guy was going but he managed to push and/or drag this truck into my car. I'm on the left. Look how big his tires. Lucky me, all of the damage done to my car was from his tire. I had a small dent and a few scratches.
Sorry about the sun rays but here's another angle. That was a monster truck. If it were a smaller car, I'm sure the damage to my car would have been more extensive.

Here's another angle. His bumper on the passenger side had way more damage than mine.

The gentleman in the foreground with the gray hair in the dark jacket owns the truck that hit my car. At the time of the accident, he was in the truck getting ready to leave with his wife, daughter & his 7 week old grandson. After he got hit, he jumped out of his truck and ran after the tow truck. He caught up with the truck, took the keys out, and this is where the truck stopped. In the middle of the street AND in the middle of the parking lot. By the way, the guy with the gray hair, his wife, and his daughter are attorneys! Take that Mr. Drunk Driver!!!!!!
Apparently, the accident took place about 10 minutes before I got there. Needless to say, I was furious!! All I could think about was “what if”…
1. What if Liz and I were standing at the trunk loading it with groceries…and this guy had hit us?
2. What if Baby Prickett was in her stroller or the basket and I parked her between the cars (so that she wouldn’t get hit by a car in the street) until I could get her inside the car...and this guy had hit us?
2. What if Baby Prickett was in her stroller or the basket and I parked her between the cars (so that she wouldn’t get hit by a car in the street) until I could get her inside the car...and this guy had hit us?
3. What if I were backing out and this guy was flying down the aisle and he hit me…and then I lost Baby Prickett?
4. What if I were walking and was crossing the street and didn’t have time to move out of the way…and this guy had hit me?
When Jeremiah and I said our prayers last night, I thanked God that he kept me and Baby Prickett safe. I promise you, I wasted 10 minutes in Wal-Mart for no reason at all. Normally, I pick up everything that is not food 1st. Then I go get groceries and head for check out. So yesterday, I got a few refrigerated things and headed for check out. Then I thought, “oh, go get the pitcher to mix drinks in”. So off I went to the other side of the store to get the pitcher. Then, I was in the mood for Lofthouse cookies, with the huge layer of icing and sprinkles. So I went all the way back to the other side of the store to get cookies. Then I thought, “oh yeah, go get the balloons for YW tonight.” Again, off I went to the other side of the store to get the balloons. Then I thought, “I might be in the mood in for grapes later…go get some grapes.” Once again, I took off to the other side of the store to get the grapes. I went back and forth so many times it was ridiculous and completely out of character. No kidding, I think the Lord allowed me to not make a grocery list because he knew what would happen if I came out of Wal-Mart 10 minutes earlier.
When I got home, Jeremiah and Liz had just finished their hot chocolate. J said that when they blessed their hot chocolate, they prayed that I would return home safely. That would explain why they were so happy to see me. Anyway, they were wondering what was taking me so long. So, I told them what happened. The only reason he didn’t call and check on me is because I’m always gone longer than I say I will be. I should have called him but I didn’t think about it. I just wanted to get home.
The police arrested this guy and hauled him off to jail.
When Jeremiah and I said our prayers last night, I thanked God that he kept me and Baby Prickett safe. I promise you, I wasted 10 minutes in Wal-Mart for no reason at all. Normally, I pick up everything that is not food 1st. Then I go get groceries and head for check out. So yesterday, I got a few refrigerated things and headed for check out. Then I thought, “oh, go get the pitcher to mix drinks in”. So off I went to the other side of the store to get the pitcher. Then, I was in the mood for Lofthouse cookies, with the huge layer of icing and sprinkles. So I went all the way back to the other side of the store to get cookies. Then I thought, “oh yeah, go get the balloons for YW tonight.” Again, off I went to the other side of the store to get the balloons. Then I thought, “I might be in the mood in for grapes later…go get some grapes.” Once again, I took off to the other side of the store to get the grapes. I went back and forth so many times it was ridiculous and completely out of character. No kidding, I think the Lord allowed me to not make a grocery list because he knew what would happen if I came out of Wal-Mart 10 minutes earlier.
When I got home, Jeremiah and Liz had just finished their hot chocolate. J said that when they blessed their hot chocolate, they prayed that I would return home safely. That would explain why they were so happy to see me. Anyway, they were wondering what was taking me so long. So, I told them what happened. The only reason he didn’t call and check on me is because I’m always gone longer than I say I will be. I should have called him but I didn’t think about it. I just wanted to get home.
The police arrested this guy and hauled him off to jail.
After Jeremiah and I got back from my dr.'s appt this morning, he took these pictures. I am so grateful that this is all of the damage that was done to my car. Some other people weren't this lucky.

Here's a close up of the paint damage and the small dent.

More scratches.

From a distance, the damage is hard to see. I'm glad that the damage wasn't done on the driver's side. If I had to be reminded of yesterday everytime that I saw those scratches, I would probably get sick to my stomach.
5 comments:
I am so glad to hear that you are ok. It is funny how the Lord works isn't it?
That is the craziest thing ever! What a moron that guy was! Good thing he's in jail. Glad yall made it out safe & sound.
My uncle was killed by a drunk driver. He had already been issued 3 DUI's before. Don't even get me started....So glad everyone is safe!
I'm glad you and baby Gwenmiah or baby Jeredonette are fine. What an idiot. You should sue him and the company so you can put together a really nice nursery. Love ya!
I'm glad you were ok. I was inside Walmart when it happened. You could tell something was going on because they kept repeating incessantly "Will the owner of a white suburban license ... please come to the food area" but
I would have never guessed that a drunken driver with a 40 ft trailer was smashing into cars in the parking lot!
Post a Comment