So today was the big day! Our precious Lynette had her intestines reconnected and she received a gastrostomy tube, aka g-tube. Basically, the tube is inserted through a small incision in the abdomen and will deliver nutrition directly to her stomach. Until she can master sucking, swallowing, and breathing at the same time, this is how she will need to be fed IF she can't handle bottle feedings.
The doctors said that she did well during surgery and didn't have any complications, yay! She put up the biggest fit going to surgery. I think prepping her made her really mad and she let all of us know it, too! Eventually, she cried herself to sleep.
This is what she looked like before surgery. I can't wait to see the poop bag gone. The pink things are her stomas, aka intestines. Her left one usually had a gauze over it. I hate how the tape trashes her skin.
Getting ready to go to surgery. There were only three people that took her to surgery this time. This was good because this meant that she wasn't nearly as sick when she went into her previous surgeries. I guess more staff is required the sicker you are.
A nurse was kind enough to walk me back to Lynette's room to wait for her when she came out of surgery. I look down the hallway to my left and this is what I saw. Attending and resident doctors looking at a real surgical board in a real hospital just like on Grey's Anatomy! The nurse that walked me back is a huge fan, too! Go figure!!! We talked Grey's all the way back to the room. It was nice to clear my head for a few minutes.
Back to business. The surgery lasted 2.5 hours and it was a success! This was a few minutes after our sweet baby girl arrived back from surgery. Bless her little heart. She is under so much anesthesia.
Then I zoomed in to get a better look. Is she doing what I think she's doing? Is she giving me the stink eye and sticking her tongue out?! I'm telling you. She was MAD going to surgery. This is probably her way of sticking it to us. The nurses for torturing her and me for allowing it to happen. She is one feisty baby! Her face is so dirty from tape residue and dry skin. The brown stuff is to help protect her skin from the residue.
All cleaned up and finally resting comfortably. I lifted her arm and dropped it and she didn't flinch at all. It dropped like a ton of bricks. I love how she is spread out. She was so tired and PASSED OUT!
The nurses had to start an IV in her scalp to draw blood this morning. Her other veins are usually blown or too hard to find.
The poop bag is gone! Her intestines are back inside of her where they belong. This is her surgical scar and g-tube. Now she has a scar just like mommy! Well, mine is lower because of the c-section. Jeremiah hopes that she will be insecure about this scar so that she'll stay away from midriff tops. He is a nut! Anyway, good job today, Sophia!
I'm glad today went extremely well. I wish I could spend all day with Lynette tomorrow but I know that is very unrealistic. Now, it's off to bed to face another long day tomorrow. My tree stumps are being grinded in the morning...sniff sniff. My other priority tomorrow is to find a rental house. Wish me luck!
3 comments:
Praise the Lord everything went ok! She is such a little fighter. And I love your commentary.
So glad everything was a success!! THe one where she is all sprawled out is too cute!
She is so precioius. I think she a Prickett coloring in between Scarlett and Savannah. Love her hair color. So glad each step is closer to having her home.
Post a Comment