Saturday, June 2, 2012

Apartment Living

We've been in the apartment for a month now.  Jeremiah has made it very clear that this is not home.  This is the apartment.  He has trained the girls and I to say apartment.  We had to do some serious adjusting after we moved in.  The unit itself is pretty nice but it is definitely NOT my house.  

My biggest challenge is not having my garage.  The parking lot here is going to be the death of us.  Literally.  We live at the front of our complex and people SPEED by our unit all of the time.  Our parking spot is across the street and I've had to teach the girls to hold hands and mine when we are leaving.  When we come home, I have to make three trips into the apartment if the girls are asleep.  Trip #1, to bring Savannah in.  Trip #2, sprint back to the van to get Scarlett before she is suffocated by the heat.  Unfortunately, I have to turn the van off when I take Savannah in because the apartment key and the van key is on the same key ring.  That means I have to lock Scarlett in the van to ensure nobody takes off with her.  Trip # 3, to bring all of our belongings into the apartment.  But there's more...keep reading!

Here's the "pantry".  The shelves are 7.75" deep.  There is no way that I can put my family size containers or bulk items in here.  So, I designated the "pantry" to my seasonings and smaller items.


This is my real pantry.  There are two sets of built-in bookshelves in our unit and I designated this one as my pantry.  It is actually working out pretty well.  These shelves are 11.75" deep.  The kitchen cabinets are too small for my cookware, pots, and pans.  So, I have to keep them here too and not in the kitchen.


The knobs to the stove are on the front.  Unfortunately, the knobs have to stay in the drawer.  The girls discovered real fast how to turn the stove and oven on.  It is such a hassle to remember to put them on and take them off.


I chose to leave my front load washer and dryer at the house.  If something happened to them while moving, it would not have ended well for anyone within ear shot.  Our insurance company was kind enough to rent these machines for me.  I absolutely hate them.  I have gone from washing 4 loads a week to 6.  And, I have to cycle the dryer twice on every load.  Furthermore, what's with the water heater being above the dryer?!  I have come close several times to hitting my head on that ledge.  Last week I finally hit my head on it rotating the clothes.


The girls are loving the garden tub.  Especially, Scarlett.


Here's another beef.  WHO thought it was a good idea to put carpet in the eating area?  Now, I have to vacuum instead of sweep my tile.  Also, the girls can't pull out their own chairs either.  I have to do it.  If I take too long to get to them, they attempt it themselves, get stuck, and get mad!  BTW, Jeremiah broke one of the spindles on the chairs trying to slide it across the carpet.  Honestly, I think he was really frustrated with the apartment situation that day and used more force than necessary.


Bless her little heart.  Savannah was mad about being stuck between the chair and the table.  Look how sweaty she is.  She was working so hard to get out.  She was crying hard, too.  She was MAD!


The shower head is a complete joke.  The pressure is completely useless and I never felt clean for days.  I told Jeremiah to bring the shower head from the house.  Here he is taking the ridiculous shower head down.  He's being completely sarcastic but we were so glad to get rid of that thing.


Installed and ready for a test drive.  He was imagining taking a great shower like he use to do in our house.


My little munchkin fell asleep while eating.  These kids get so exhausted.  I'll be glad when we can get back to some type of normalcy.


Just because.


Stuck AGAIN!

5 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

Yep, don't miss the apartment life. How long do yall have to be in one? Love that bathtub picture of Scarlett!

Kashari said...

Welcome back to apartment life. In college we have been in a different apartment every semester and now we are on the track of being in a new apartment every year. Also, I have not been in an apartment where there isn't carpet under the dining table. That is just normal day like here for us Honsvicks until (if ever) we get a house.

Anonymous said...

I know it's difficult adjusting to your new home especially since you've moved into an apartment and not a house. Adjusting takes time. I'm sure you'll come to love your apartment just like I've come to love my home with Deer Chase soon. Best of luck to you!

glad2bemommy09 said...

Oh yes the dryer! I had the same issue in our apartment! I can't tell you how many times I hit my head on the water heater. just try not to put your head anywhere near it:) that's what I had to train myself to do. Hope they get the house done soon so you guys can go home:)

Regina said...

I love all of these pictures! That last one is priceless! Even though you are in my old stomping grounds, I'll bet you can't WAIT to get back home! :)