Sophia is having a fundoplication surgery tomorrow because her acid reflux is really bad. Basically, a portion of her stomach is going to be sewn around her esophagus. This procedure increases the pressure at the lower end of the esophagus and thereby reduces acid reflux. She's not gaining weight anymore and it's probably because she spits up so much. On top of that she's aspirating. Her spit up is going into her lungs and that is part of the reason that her lungs keep collapsing. Well, that and the fact that she has chronic lung disease due to her prematurity. Her lungs never developed and they are in pretty bad shape. If this doesn't work, a tracheotomy is next.
This is actually a good representation of what Sophia is having done. The image on the left is pre-op. The image on the right is post-op.
I caught her smiling in her sleep on Sunday.
The nurse and I were joking that Sophia looked liked she was on the beach getting some sun all sprawled out.
That is a "No No" on her right arm. She got a pair when she went to the PICU after her heart surgery. I think her original pair was discarded. Apparently, missy here decided to extubate herself one night. I asked for another pair of "No No's" so that she couldn't reach and pull out the tube that is KEEPING HER ALIVE!
Today I gave her a bath because she had a HUGE spit up. It went behind her ears, neck, and back. Just wiping her off was not an option.
All clean and ready for another big day tomorrow.

2 comments:
Well I the surgery helps with her reflux and lungs. her features are starting to show more and more each day:) What a gorgeous baby she is, and you are looking mighty fabulous yourself! praying for a smooth surgery and a quick healing! thanks for the update.
Hope everything went ok today!
Post a Comment