Sunday, July 1, 2012

5th Surgery Post-Op

At four and a half months, Sophia's 5th surgery went well on Tuesday.  Early that afternoon she was crying and screaming and carrying on and I ended up holding her.  I held her for two hours before she went in.  It settled her down and I felt like holding her settled me down, too.  Unfortunately, that was the only thing that I could do for her.  Apparently, it was enough.  She slept for two hours in my arms and she was calm.  She went into surgery around 3:45PM and came out around 5:45PM.  She hasn't spit up once since Tuesday.   

Here we are in the holding room.


Okay, for real this time.  I'm letting her go.  I  hate surgery days, too.


The surgeon told us there were several options as to where he could make the incision.  A few days before the surgery I told him to make the incision pretty.  Sophia is going to have a ton of scars and this one needs to be pretty if it's going to be done.  She's going to have so many challenges ahead of her and the last thing I want her to worry about are her surgical scars.  With all of the chaos before the surgery, I forgot to tell the surgeon to make it pretty.  After Jeremiah and I went back to Sophia's room to wait for her, I remembered that I didn't tell her surgeon to make the incision pretty.  When the nurses brought her back from surgery, Sophia had a "pretty"scar!  It was a vertical scar in the middle of her belly just liked we discussed.  I hugged the surgeon and thanked him with every ounce of my being!  He smiled and said that he remembered that the scar needed to be pretty so he made it that way.  Her surgeon is so great with us and I love that about him.

1 comment:

Jalei & Lane said...

SO glad there's no more spitting up. That would be horrible, especially since she's laying down all the time. I can't wait til she is at home!