7/16/12
Sophia is sweaty, having chills, and her heart rate is high. We also weaned her oxygen because that is what we do on Mondays. The girl was absolutely inconsolable. I placed her on the mat for tummy time and she slept the entire time. I'm concerned but I'm also thinking maybe she's just having a bad day.
7/17/12
Sophia is still sweaty, having chills, and her heart rate is high. Then I found out that her methadone and ativan doses have been reduced to HALF of what she is typically given. Plus, it was scheduled to be given every 24 hours instead of every 12 hours. Turns out that the sweat, chills, and elevated heart rate were signs of withdrawal. Great.
7/18/12
The doctor called and said that Sophia is having a hard time breathing. Unfortunately, she is demoted to the bubble cpap. I was a huge emotional mess. The nurses called the chaplain to sit and pray with me and Sophia because the situation was so bad. He said the sweetest prayer and it calmed me down a little. The doctor put Sophia back on her drugs. I think I took everything so hard because we were hoping to have missy home by the end of the month. THAT AIN'T HAPPENIN' NOW!
7/19/12
Then it hit me. It was too much...too soon...too fast. Weaning her oxygen on Mondays has always been fine. The only thing that changed were her meds. X-rays were taken and her lungs are a mess again. After demanding some answers, I don't know if her lungs were crappy first and that is what set her off and she needed her drugs to manage her pain??? Or, because she didn't have her drugs, she was going through withdrawal and her lungs went to crap??? Either way she was trying really hard to tell us something was wrong.
7/20/12
The on call doctor called me at 8:11AM and informed me that Sophia had a rough night. She's not breathing well and her blood gasses were not good. He put her on the conventional ventilator. She's no longer breathing on her own. I called Jeremiah at work to give him the update. He came home and we rushed out to the hospital to be with her. After a few hours we decided to get lunch. I called to see how Sophia was doing and her nurse told me that she had extubated! She had pulled the tube out of her throat and was waving it around in her left hand! Then, when the nurses were trying to put it back in, she was biting the tube! She was giving as good as she got and I couldn't be more proud!!! Sophia was stable after they resuscitated her.
7/21/12
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. She's now on a morphine drip to manage her pain and they are keeping her sedated so that she doesn't get worked up or extubate herself.
She looked like this when we arrived at the hospital Saturday. It's hard to believe that she looks like this after she's been doing so well for the past several weeks.
The "no-no's" went back on so that she can't bend her arm to reach her tube. The "house" that is covering her finger tips is to prevent her from using her IV as a weapon to pull her tube out...in case she managed to get out of the no-no's. She's done it several times before and I'm sure it'll happen again.
The nurses nicknamed her Sassy Sophia over the weekend. As much as I hate to see her like this, at least she is getting some much needed rest.
She is a mess and the smallest little fighter I've ever seen. I LOVE that about her!
On the counter was this goody bag for me. One of the nurses brought me some of my favorite things...skittles and celebrity gossip! If I had any tears left, I would've shed them. I think the nurses have taken care of me just as much as they have taken care of Sophia this week. By the way, I would never buy any of these magazines. Better Homes & Garden is more my taste I promise. Celebrity gossip is just a recent distraction from all of the drama in my life. Please don't judge.
3 comments:
Poor baby! Too many ups and downs. Why did they decide to half her medicine?
I'm so so so sorry!! I fell so bad for you all! I hope Sophia keeps getting better and that whatever they are doing will help! I am here and willing to help however I can Gwen!
We will keep you guys in our prayers.
Post a Comment