Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Another Successful Surgery

Today was a good day and I'm drained physically and emotionally!  Surgery was at 12:45PM and we arrived at the hospital a little after 11AM.  We hung out with baby and she was a little worked up but we managed to keep her stable and comfortable until surgery.  At 12:45PM we were off to the holding room in the operating room area.  After a few minutes of taking care of some pre-op formalities, Sophia was off to surgery.  Oh!  I remembered to tell the surgeon to make the incision pretty before they went in this time.  He smiled, gave me a thumbs up, and said "I will".  

Mr. Man and I had lunch in the cafeteria in our favorite spot.  Usually, we eat right underneath Sophia's room so that we can channel our thoughts and energy to her.  When we were done, we headed back to her room.  A couple of the nurses stopped us in the hallway to ask us if she got off okay.  Before I knew it, Sophia was turning the corner!  At 1:46PM she was back in her room.  The surgery went well and there were no complications, yay.  Here's another pictorial depiction of today's events.

This is the tube that caused today to happen.


 I'm grateful that it has sustained her life but I am ready for it to go!


 In the holding room waiting for the operating team to come get her.  Eventually, they came and she was off to surgery.  


Here we are out in the hallway after lunch talking to some nurses.  Out of nowhere, here they come back from surgery!


  It's always a good sign when you see all smiles coming back from surgery.


There it is.  The trach.


This is the first time since she was born that I have seen her face without anything on it!  There's  always a tube coming or going in and out of her nose or mouth.  When she was born, I saw her a brief second and she was off to NICU.  I made a comment that I feel like I just gave birth because I'm seeing her face for the first time since February 9th.  Everyone laughed but I was serious.  I barely remember kissing her at birth because there was so much chaos going on.  Anyway, I'm always bobbing and weaving to give her kisses and it was nice to lean in and kiss her without having a "plan" to do so.  I stared at her for 45 minutes easy.  


  Unfortunately, she's going to have to be heavily sedated for the next couple of days until her trach site heals.  Otherwise, she'll be wide awake, in pain, and will probably rip her tube out.  We do not need for that to happen.  Today was a good day!  Once again, job well done baby girl :o)

5 comments:

maria said...

She's so sweet. She resembles Savannah, but please let her have Scarlett's temperament.I don't think any of us can handle two Savannahs! Diva's a fighter. She'll be just fine.

glad2bemommy09 said...

So Relieved at how well things went:) I am so excited that she is in a better situation than before:) and WE can now just count down the days till she gets to go home. P.S.- I agree with Maria;)

Regina said...

SO HAPPY to hear it went well! She is beautiful.

Jalei & Lane said...

So good to hear! And really nice that it was a quick surgery. That sweet little girl is so strong.

Jami said...

Glad everything went alright.